Comic Writing is similar to other forms of art work/writing, such as: Prose Writing, Drama Writing, Poem Writing; the distinguishing factor being the medium and mode of communication and information dissemination. Comic Writing is more humorous and funny, where as all the other forms are a bit serious and sober.
In Comic Writing, comical characters, objects, scenes with comical background etc, are used to effectively communicate with the reader and audience.
What is Comic Writing?
Comic Writing is a form of writing, which makes use of comic community characters, objects and tools to portray an idea; it is also a humorous work of art whereby comical characters are effectively used as earlier stated.
Who is a Comic Writer?
A Comic writer on the other hand is a talented writer of comics, with a good ability to interplay comical characters and objects to develop his context and writing.
What does Comic Writing entail?
Comic Writing entails a high level of focus, skill, talent, a full attention, as it is highly demanding, time-consuming and also energy-sapping.
Over the years, comic writing has experienced improvement in terms of recognition, socialisation with the populace, these days, people associate more with comics compared to what was obtained some years back. Comic scripts are now used to develop TV gigs, so also in developing and the creation of TVs (TV commercials), and even for full-length movies, with complete comical development and background.
Writers are being respected accorded due honour, for their work, especially the exceptionally outstanding ones, gone are the days when comic writers are seen as ‘lunatics’ and never-to-do-well people who are not to be mingled with, neither should they be looked upon as models. The Comic writing field is a viable and formidable aspect in the entertainment, with a multitude of money-making opportunities.
Here are some rudiments of comic writing which will enable you hit the roof-top:
1. Have the natural talent: natural talent is the ability to carry out an activity with relative ease and less work. Having the natural talent of comic writing will actually help in making you a success in comic writing, because you will with ease churn out tones of write-ups from which you can choose your most preferred for publication and promotion. Deficiency in the aspect will hamper the progress of a comic writer, since comic writer takes a lot of skill and technique.
2. High level of creativity: comic writing to a large extent involves a great deal of creativity. A comic writer with a high level of creativity can transform an ordinary and passive story line into dynamic and intriguing one.
Take for instance, a story concerning a playful cum hardworking young student, who does all his studying and learning in the house before and after school activities and plays roughly in school, with this he makes a good degree. That’s a good but ordinary story line, but with a highly creative writer compiling this story, he’ll add a little bit to it, like the said young student had a friend who mimicked him wrongly, without the knowledge that he studies at home, makes the lowest grade, thus fails-out of school, that’s a little bit more interesting; or what do you think?
3. Have a good command of English: having a good command of English language, with it being reflective in the writing, earns such author and work a great deal of recognition and accolade. Readers will be zest to view and read the work, while also reviewing editorial teams will find the work, a fulfilling to edit.
4. Have passion for comic writing: having passion for comic writing will you to churn out massive write-ups every now and then. The presence of the love for comic writing can keep going when you lose inspiration and motivation.
5. Do constant practice: a Comic writer needs to engage in constant and regular practice, to further sharpen his skill and improve himself and present himself a better and refined writer with modern skills for the modern day. With constant and regular practice, hidden previously unknown facts will be revealed to the writer.
6. Do well refined research: a comic writing which lacks in-depth research and facts will lack recognition and this will undermine the chances of success.
A factual and research filled comic writing will gain recognition, as it does reveal & educate the reader & improve its chances of being a big hit.
7. Have knowledge of other comic writings: having a good knowledge of other authors and writers will improve your work output. A solid knowledge of other good authors’ works will proffer you with the option of reviewing the writing to see what’s right and what’s wrong in the work in order for you to make amendments to your yet-to-be-released writing.
8. Be very realistic & explanatory: majority of comic writers lack the ability to make their story very realistic and down-to-earth. Some Comic writers prefer writing unimaginable story, with the thought that it will get people fascinated and zest to view the work. They write with the mindset of creating an “out of this world” work.
For instance, a comic writer with a story thus:
A young girl who lost her parents at a very early age in her, and has to be brought up by people she knew not. Fortunately for her she grows up to be a successful girl, achieving success in all her endeavours, from education to work, to marriage and so on, will find the story easy to explain.
Compared to another writer with a story thus:
A boy of seven (7) years aspires to be a great football legend, due to his exceptional skills, he is grouped among players between ages 21-28 to play alongside them, and he turns out to be the best player, beating them to every ball and in every race. How easy would such a writer find it to explain and describe? Or rather, how realistic is this story line?
Above are some of the perceived rudiments essential for the success of a comic writer.